SEE US IN A NEW LIGHT
26 May 2022
Newcastle Cathedral acknowledges the publication of an Independent Overview Report by Independent Reviewer Chris Robson, detailing an independent Lessons Learned Review relating to the recruitment, appointment and management of William Scott Farrell in his various roles at Ely, Newcastle and Rochester Cathedrals. The Dean and Chapter of Newcastle Cathedral are now actively engaged in a process of learning from the issues raised in the report and are wholeheartedly committed to ensuring the recommendations of the report are implemented in their entirety.
To access a statement from The Dean and Chapter of Newcastle Cathedral about the report, please click here.
To access the Independent Overview Report, please click here.
Newcastle Cathedral, the Cathedral Church for the Church of England Diocese of Newcastle, is committed to:
- The care, nurture of, and respectful pastoral ministry with, all children, young people and adults.
- The safeguarding and protection of all children, young people and adults.
- Being a safe and caring community that provides a loving environment where victims of abuse can report or disclose abuse and where they can find support and best practice that contributes to the prevention of abuse.
This commitment is shared by all our staff and volunteers.
- The Cathedral’s Safeguarding Action Plan can be viewed here.
- The Cathedral’s independent safeguarding audit report can be viewed here.
- The Cathedral’s Safeguarding Policy Statement can be viewed by clicking here. The House of Bishop’s Safeguarding Policy and Practice, adopted by Newcastle Cathedral, is accessible here. The Parish Safeguarding Handbook can be downloaded here. Paper copies of these documents can be obtained from the Vestry on request.
The Diocese of Newcastle’s Safeguarding policies and procedures, together with national Church of England documents relating to Safeguarding, can be viewed on the Diocesan website: www.newcastle.anglican.org/safeguarding
The Cathedral’s Safeguarding Officer is The Revd Canon Peter Dobson.
Canon Peter can be contacted on either 07594 622882 or 0191 232 1939 or via email here.
Please contact him as soon as possible if you have any Safeguarding concerns. Also please don’t hesitate to contact him if you seek advice, guidance or further information relating to Safeguarding.
The Cathedral’s Deputy Safeguarding Officer is Gill Lawrence.
Gill can be contacted on 07397997951 or via email here.
You are also very welcome to speak with The Very Revd Geoff Miller, Dean of Newcastle.
The Dean can be contacted on 0191 232 1939 or via email here.
The Diocesan Safeguarding Adviser is Carol Butler. She may be contacted on 07825 167016 or via email here.